Emergency Workers Forum

Author Topic: Brisbane's rainfall in first six months of 2012 biggest since 1999  (Read 490 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just when I was thinking that this winter was feeling quite wet it is confirmed. There have been other comments that it is looking being as wet as 1974 or 1893.  Discussion on the Weatherzone forums is trending towards the rest of the year being drier and more under the influence of El Nino conditions.

Time will tell though but seeing this many rain depressions forming up and off the Queensland coast so far this year and over winter certainly has this weather watcher scratching her head.  I mean we certainly see nice fronts coming through the bite and across our southern alps / Tassie and head over to New Zealand but these big rain events happening between Hervey Bay to upper NSW at this time of year is a bit perplexing.

Considering it took consistent tropical rains from October 2010 through to the events of January 2011 to fill reverse 6+ years of drought conditions filling sub-terranean resources as well as overland flows I wouldn't think it would take much of an 'event' to create quick overland flows again this summer.

The gardens are doing really well for what is normally dry winter's grass and hard cold ground with quite the reverse this winter.   

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Brisbane's rainfall in first six months of 2012 biggest since 1999
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
It's interesting to note that LGAQ (Local Government Association of Queensland) had their conference today in Ipswich and identified the likelyhood of a repeat of 2011 and that people in their catchments may potentially be asking the questions soon 'so what has been learn't from 2011 and what have we done to better prepare / react / protect'.

I've not heard of EMQ having any such frank questions being put forward or not that they've been reported in the media.

It is right that the councils should be discussing what their ratepayers are soon going to be asking them. 

So what has changed really. Our small community was largly affected and I'd hope that there has been policies put into place - not just discussed - and preparedness happening.  First day of August tomorrow.  By October 2010 we'd already received an unpreecedented amount of rain that lifted the water table and filled our dams after many years of drought.  This year - we've had no winter dry out so to speak - so the tables are up.  Could we be looking at problems by November!

Courier Mail article

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/local-government-association-of-queensland-disaster-management-conference-hears-hears-no-guarantee-disastrous-summer-of-2011-wont-have-sequel/story-e6freoof-1226439305869

Copyright © Monster Forum www.monsterforum.com.au