Cruising Yacht Forum

Author Topic: My first purchase  (Read 395 times)

Monster Mummy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My first purchase
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »
After many many months of browsing boats on the internet and looking in glossy books and dreaming of owing a boat I thought why not so decided to take the plunge and go meet with a broker at my local marina after I'd narrowed it down to a few boats that I was interested in.

After researching my best calculation was that I'd be in the market for an old Hood or Endeavour or similar - up to 20 foot or so but with some caravan comforts as being a girl I really wanted to hit the winds and spend my weekends hanging out with what ever girlfriends would come out with me as there were a few of us that really enjoyed sailing.

Moreton Bay is a magnificent place to sail and I was very excited however price would be the commanding factor in what sort of boat I got.

After arriving at the marina and meeting the agent he went through the list of stock that I'd shown interest in. He also suggested a few boats that were out of my price range but he wanted to still show me them so I could see.  I was very disappointed as to what my humble $ could buy and I could see that there was many many months of ahead of fixer-uppering no matter what boat we looked at let alone getting the boat to a standard for adding my wishlist of things.

At the end of our trampsing around the marina looking at boats both on hardstand and in the water - one timber one looked like it was getting closer to the water whilst we were standing in it which was not very reassuring.

He last wanted to show me one that was out on the pile moorings so it meant a little ride out to see it.  Now I'd seen the boat online and it was my favourite already as it looked good in the water with a really lovely fat beamy belly that promised lots of room inside.  Well I was not disappointed.  Packed into this boat was a little kitchenette with deep cooler box built in behind the sink, plenty of under cupboard space. Two wide and comfortable side berths running down either side of the boat and a v'berth bed and toilet up front behind a bulkhead wall that afforded privacy when on the toilet. Something not at all achievable by any of the other boats we'd looked at today and all packed into a meagre 24 foot.

On deck was just a promising, sides nicely angled to aid for walking around when on the lean + non slip grip painted onto the GRP that looked as good as from day one.  Two lovely benches moulded into the back cockpit and a tiller instead of a wheel that meant more cockpit room when not underway as the tiller could be just put up out of the road.  Good brand winches and in good condition. All the rigging looked in good condition as well. 

The agent said that the owner would probably be negotiable if I decided to make an offer. So I did and to my shock he accepted.  I ended up getting a better specked boat for the money I was willing to spend so I was very happy. 

Now it was time to get down to the nitty gritties of buying the boat.  I'd already arranged money as I find that the best way of being fairly aggressive in bids for cars or boats, etc.

Always if possible organise a sea trial of the boat. For your own familiarisation with the boat under the current owners hands so as you can feel how the boat hands as well as common sea worthiness issues that may arise.  After the sea trial you may agree to go to contract that will be dependant upon marine survey.  It is the responsibility of the purchaser to pay for all costs in regards to a marine survey.  I'm sill in contact with the lovely many who did my survey as he fondly remembers me as his first and only lady yacht buyer so we must be rare.

Anyhow - you will need to book in a lift and clean at a local marina and organise for the owner to bring the boat and for your surveyor to be there for the inspection while its is being lifted as we as during the wash off etc. A good survey may inspect the boat before it is lifted out of the water and then complete the external and undersides after it has been lifted so they will be there long before the boat is lifted.  Always get a surveyor that is 'your man' and by this I mean they must have solely your interests as their main concern as to the recommendations of the boat.  A good honest survey will identify all the nitty girtties that need to be fixed and also give you a rough estimate as to works + $ for doing so.  The surveyor I chose was also a marine electrician and skipper etc so he brought a wealth of experience to this inspection.

After the inspection is done you'll have a qualified idea on what is needed and what may be a show stopper in buying the boat.  You can then choose to go ahead with the purchase and arrange settlement etc.

Don't make boat settlements too difficult or expensive I say.  Going through broker ensures that they have done the checks on the boat to prove it is unencumbered and so no glitches to you later. It's as simple as transferring the money and getting the keys.

I've happily enjoyed 9 years sailing on my lovely little Zeus and hope to enjoy many more.

Copyright © Monster Forum