Cruising Yacht Forum

Author Topic: Sailmakers are gold!  (Read 427 times)

Monster Mummy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sailmakers are gold!
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »
Priceless ease of use is all I can say.  When I first purchased my boat I was determined to get a furler as I didn't want to be hanking up sails and wanted a safe single handed sailing experience.

Well this is where the use of a professional sail maker and following his recommendations becomes priceless. 

Not only do these guys know sails, they know boats, they sail professionally and they can recommend best options and things you wouldn't even dare to think possible until a discussion is had with your sail maker.

He asked me what did I want after inspecting my humble boat and I said I wanted safe single handed sailing and that I'd love if we could get a Genoa size sail on a furler.  YIP YEA he said it was possible and he'd build for the shape of my boat to get the best shape and wind performance.

I've now a beautiful furling Genoa that has a beautiful cut to it and the sail maker built in lines that I can see from the cockpit to mark No.2 / No. 3 etc. so I can furl back to the best cut for that size and no guessing.

Well it runs a dream and now 8 years on the sail is still in great condition.  I'm very cautious to keep luffing to a minimum and also to make sure it is furled up well when not in use so as the solar shield strip can do what it was designed to do.

All in all - a great decision that has given me many many years of safe enjoyable sailing.

Copyright © Monster Forum